WORLD FLOOR COVERINGS
Laminate Care and Maintenance
Before you tackle caring for your new laminate flooring, it’s important to understand the elements that make up your new floor.
Some of today’s newer laminate flooring products include a waterproof finish. Most do not, however, so be sure that your care and maintenance routine complies with the manufacturer’s guidelines. For example, Shaw laminate flooring includes wood, so you should never use excessive moisture or a non-approved cleaning solution while caring for their laminate flooring.
At World Floorcoverings, we recommend the following care and maintenance routine for your new laminate floors.
Routine Laminate Care
- Daily care of your laminate flooring should include sweeping, dry mopping or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment.
- Blot and dry any liquid spills as quickly as possible to avoid warping. Most common household messes, like spills and soil, should wipe or sweep away clean.
For Preventative Laminate Maintenance
- Use doormats at the entry to the room to capture any dirt, sand or grime that could be tracked onto your flooring.
- Use wide dollies when you need to move furniture across the floor.
- Protect your flooring from dents or marks by placing heavy appliances on mats.
- Add an area rug or two for stylish protection of your laminate.
Laminate Stain Removal
For difficult stains and messes like candle wax, chewing gum, or oil-based stains like lipstick and olive oil, consult with your laminate flooring manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning tough stains and messes. Many of these tougher stains have simple solutions, like using nail polish remover or freezing with ice before gently scraping away with a plastic scraper. For specific guidelines, visit Shaw’s laminate flooring cleaning suggestions HERE.
Laminate Deep Cleaning Solutions
Frequent deep cleaning of your new laminate flooring shouldn’t be a necessity, but when you want to give your laminate flooring a deeper clean, we recommend you use a hard surface cleaner approved by your laminate manufacturer.
Below is a list of additional care and maintenance tips plus stain removal resources to help keep your laminate flooring looking beautiful.